(Written by Elle Yi) Head lice are parasitic insects called Pediculus humanus capitis. They are small and wingless parasitic insects that are found in human hairs. Outbreaks of head lice are most common in school-aged children. The insect spends its entire life on human hair and feeds exclusively on blood.
In order for them to survive and thrive, they need just 2 things; warmth and tiny amounts of blood from the head. When they bite, their saliva leaves small deposits that can cause an allergic reaction on the surface of the scalp of head. This reaction appears as small raised and reddish areas of head skin that become extremely itchy. [Read more...]